An online subscription is required to access the content on this website.
SUBSCRIBE TODAY to have total access 24 hours a day to the Newberry News.
2018-10-10 / Front Page

Small Fire at TAS

Monday, October 8 at approximately 9:24 a.m. the Newberry Fire Department was dispatched to a fire in a hallway of Tahquamenon Elementary School. Staff and students were evacuated from the building.

Upon arrival, firefighters found the elementary wing engulfed in dense smoke. The Luce County Sheriff’s Department investigation revealed that a second grade student had utilized a cigarette lighter to burn paper on a fourfoot poster board that hung in the elementary hallway.

One victim was treated at Helen Newberry Joy Hospital for respiratory distress as a result of smoke inhalation. The student responsible has been suspended and a police report submitted to the prosecutor’s office.

Return to top