An online subscription is required to access the content on this website.
SUBSCRIBE TODAY to have total access 24 hours a day to the Newberry News.
2017-12-06 / Columnists


by Caroline Diem

From the Newberry News of December 9, 1892

Local and County News

—Grondin Bros. of Seney will give a grand opening at their new hotel on Christmas Eve, Dec. 24th.

—Mr. Rowbottom came to town on Wednesday from the mouth of the Two Heart with a large lot of fresh whitefish for which he found a ready market.

—Mr. and Mrs. G. Rosenthal’s little girl was run over by a sleigh on Monday while playing on the street. The sleigh was empty and the little one was not much hurt.

—The chimneys on the village hall have been extended to the full height of the roof, an improvement that was much needed, as the old chimneys smoked so badly as to drive people out of the building when it was necessary to have a fire.

—A runaway horse and sleighload of youngsters created a little excitement on Truman Avenue last Sunday afternoon. After crossing the narrow gauge railroad the occupants were dumped on the ground, but fortunately beyond a few slight bruises, no damage was done to either the rig or the occupants.

—The News was misinformed when it stated last week that the child killed at the wood camps was cut in two. The boy was caught between the brake gearing and the ties and was crushed to death, but received no unsightly exterior wounds.

—Reduced fares for the Christmas and New Year Holidays, 1892 - 1893. The South Shore will sell round-trip excursion tickets to all their stations at the special rate of a fare and a third for the round trip. The tickets will be sold on Dec. 24, 25, 26 and 31, 1892 and will be good for return until Jan 3, 1893 inclusive.

From the Newbery News of December 7, 1917

Double Drowning

Two Lads Drowned in Tahquamenon River Thanksgiving Day

The Tahquamenon River claimed two more victims Thanksgiving Day when Louis Whitby and William E. Daley, both mere boys, lost their lives when they broke through the thin ice and were drowned.

The two boys had some traps set for rats along the river, and the afternoon of Thanksgiving Day they procured a boat and proceeded to visit their line of traps. Paddling up the river until they reached “Spider Bay,” they found the river frozen over.

Pulling their boat up on the ice, they started to walk ashore. They had gone but a few feet when the treacherous ice gave way beneath them. The signs show that they succeeded in extricating themselves, broke through a second time and again succeeded in getting out.

A third time they broke through and a wide space of broken ice gave mute evidence of the desperate struggle the two boys must have made to save themselves before being overcome by cold and exhaustion.

The position of the bodies when found, with the arms extended as though still clinging to the ice, show how desperately they must have struggled to maintain themselves above water, and that they gave up only when overcome by the deadly cold.

The tragic fate of the two boys was not learned until Friday morning. When they did not return home Thursday night it was thought that they had become lost in the woods, and early Friday morning a searching party procured a launch and started up the river in search of them.

Upon reaching “Spider Bay” their empty boat was found and the broken ice showed only too plainly the fate that had befallen them. The bodies were located with grappling irons in about fourteen feet of water and were quickly recovered.

Louis Whitby was the son of Mrs. Herman Myers and was a bright, manly little fellow, fourteen years of age.

The Daley boy was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Daley of Moran and had been employed for a short time in the machine shop of the local plant of the Charcoal Iron Co. He was aged 19 years. The body was shipped to Moran for burial, the funeral being held Sunday.

The funeral of Louis Whitby was held Sunday from the Methodist Episcopal church, and was attended by a large concourse of sympathizing friends and neighbors. The Boy Scouts, of which the deceased was a member, attended in a body.

Two Men Killed Attempting to Board Train While in Motion

George Wilson and a companion named McDonald were fatally injured at Seney Tuesday afternoon in attempting to board a freight while it was in motion. McDonald was almost instantly killed and Wilson died a few hours after being brought to Newberry.

According to the story of the accident as learned here, both men rode into Seney on the freight. They left the train for the purpose of getting a bottle of booze. Both being under the influence of liquor, it is claimed they were refused liquor at the Grondin hotel.

The two men hung about the hotel until the train started to pull out, when they attempted to board it and both went under the wheels.

McDonald was dying when taken from beneath the train and Wilson had both legs crushed above the knees. He was so badly injured that on his arrival at Newberry the doctors refused to operate and he died at eleven o’clock.

Before passing away Wilson gave his residence as Fawn Lake or Fond Lake, Canada. Both men were apparently under 30 years of age .

Wilson’s body is being held here pending an effort to locate his relatives.

Big Bill at Grand

At the Grand theatre next Wednesday will be presented the William Fox feature, “A Tale of Two Cities,” with the $100,000 star William Farnum in the title role. In this cast Mr. Farnum plays a double part throughout the play and keeps the audience keenly interested from the beginning to the finale.

It is but another evidence of Manager Nelson’s up-to-dateness. Supt. Brink and the teaching corps are co-operating and a matinee will be held for the schools at 4 p.m. In the evening two performances at 7:15 and 9; matinee 10c, evening, 10c and 25c.

From the Newberry News of December 7, 1967

Plane Forced Down on M-28

A Canadian flier forced down Tuesday morning by fog and poor visibility safely landed his new light plane on M-28, just west of McMillan.

The pilot, Donald Arthur Charles Jones of Alberta, Canada, told Michigan State Police that visibility became so poor he decided to land on the highway rather than risk continuing on his way. Jones taxied his plane along the highway until he found a wide spot to park and wait for improved conditions.

He said he spent the night in Sault Ste. Marie and was told Tuesday morning that the weather west was clear. He said he encountered fog at about Hulbert.

Community Mitten Tree

A community mitten tree has been placed in the Rahilly Motor Co. garage. Anyone wishing to donate mittens for Christmas may place them on the tree. The tree was donated by the Kimberly Clark Corp., and it is hoped it will be well decorated soon.

Return to top